The Bellevue 1872 to 1936
The Bellevue was located directly opposite from today's south end of the Rte 16A Junction near the Scenic Vista.
The Intervale, New Hampshire
By Winfield S. Nevins 1887
The Bellevue, John Albert Barnesproprietor, stands on the knoll just beyond the Intervale. It is a sightly location and one excellently adapted for perfect drainage and to insure health and comfort.
Mr. Barnes built this house himself in 1872, and for fifteen years has been its popular landlord and proprietor. Hundreds of New England people have found here a pleasant summer home.
In the fall of 1886, the house was very materially enlarged by the addition of an L to the rear which nearly doubles its capacity. The house now accommodates about seventy guests, all in good rooms. It is kept open from the first of June until the last of October.
The nearby Clarendon was annexed as part of the Bellevue complex and by 1901 The Bellevue was open during the winter specializing in sleighing, snowshoeing, coasting, camping and tobogganing. Skiing had not yet arrived in the White Mountains.
Card dated October 4, 1919
SOURCE MATERIAL: American Series of Popular Biographies - NEW HAMPSHIRE EDITION THIS VOLUME CONTAINS BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS OF The State of New Hampshire. B O S T ON NEW ENGLAND HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY 15 COURT SQUARE - 1902.
Editors Note: I have left this text exactly as it was printed in the publication, even though it is a bit cumbersome and obscure in places.
WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE BARNES FAMILY:
JOHN ALBERT BARNES, for years proprietor of the Bellevue House at Intervale, N.H., was born in Kearsarge Village, N. H., October 12, 1832, and died 1889.
His father, the late John M. Barnes, was a farmer, and resided at Intervale and also engaged in the hotel business, for several years conducting the Blue Blind Cottage, on what is now known as the Dr. Merriam place. (might have been near today's Stonehurst Manor) He died, at about sixty years of age, in Conway.
He (John A) married Hannah Willey, of Conway, and they had two children: John A., the subject of this sketch ; and Mary, deceased, who married Levi Wheeler, of Littleton,
John A. Barnes was educated in his native town, attending the district school and the academy; and from his early years until his death was more or less identified with hotel management, proving himself competent in every position that he assumed, as landlord winning friends and fame. In 1872 he opened the Bellevue House, then much smaller than now, and met with such success that much more room was needed; and in 1887 he enlarged it
Since his death this hotel and also the Clarendon have been managed by his sons, under the name of J. A. Barnes' Sons. Mr. Barnes was an active, public-spirited citizen, never shirking the responsibilities of office, serving for five or six years as Selectman, and as Representative to the State Legislature in 1883 and in 1885.
He married Mary Elizabeth Tufts, one of the seven children of Nathaniel Tufts, the others being Marcena, Vienna, George, Mehit Martha. descendant of one of the passengers who came abel, Victoria, and She was a de over on the “Mayflower.” Five children were born of their union, three sons and two daughters, namely: John Frederick, who married Lillian Ward, of Me. ; George Tufts, who married, first, Minnie Pit - Bennett Fryeburg, man, by whom he had two children, and, second, Ursula Lincoln, of Franklin, Mass. ; Dennis Wheeler, of Intervale; Effie Lizzie; and Bertha May, who is now deceased.
John M. Barnes, who was born in February, I79I, Hannah Willey, sister of the Mr. Willey who, died January 1825, married with his family, was killed by the awful mountain slide of 1826.
Polly Barnes, born December 22, 1792, married Jonathan Seavey, of Bartlett, and died September 27, 1847. born February 20, 1794, died May 10, 1797. Amos, Richard E. Barnes, born February 25, 1798, married a widow, Mrs. Amanda Cram Boston, and died October 28, 1888. Cynthia, born Jan Sally, born May 21, 1803, married Nathan Chandler, uary 10, 1800, died October 5, 1814. of Fryeburg, and resided in Conway, where her Abiah E. Barnes, born May 3, 1805, died, unmarried, death occurred December 27, 1890. November. 1, 1878.
Alonzo W. Barnes, who was born February 16, 1807, and died February 22, 1900, married Almina Merrill.
Albert Barnes, the special subject of this sketch, was educated in the schools of Conway. Having learned the carpenter's trade when young, he followed it until 1891, since that time devoting his attention to farming. In 1896 he was appointed Postmaster at Kearsarge Village, a position that he still retains. He is a stanch Democrat in politics, and for two years served as Selectman. He is a member of the Congregational church. Mr. Barnes married November 3, 1848, Almira H. Seavey, of Conway, daughter of Simon and Betsey (Hendly) Seavey and one of a family of six children. Two brothers of Mrs. Barnes are deceased, namely: Calvin, who died young; and Orrin, who married Lydia East In a n. Her surviving brother and sisters are: Isaiah, residing in Kearsarge, who married Miss Ella Burbank; Clarissa A., wife of Ezra R. Eastman; and Maria, widow of the late George Clark, of Kearsarge. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have two children – Clara and Lester C. Clara Ella Barnes, born in 1851 in Conway, is the wife of H. H. Dow, of Kearsarge, and the mother of two children — Helen M. and Albert Barnes Dow. C. Barnes, born at Kearsarge in 1866, lives on the homestead. He married Nellie O. Eastman, daughter of Alfred A. and Olive Eastman; and they have two children — Leah M. and Ralph Lester.
January 28, 1938
Incidents in White Mountain history - by Rev. Benjamin G. Willey
"The History of Carroll County", 1889, Georgia Drew Merrill
Bartlett NH - In the Valley of the Saco - Aileen Carroll - 1990
Lucy Crawford's History of the White Mountains - circa 1860
REPRESENTATIVE CITIZENS OF The State of New Hampshire • BOSTON -
NEW ENGLAND HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY 15 COURT SQUARE 1902