top of page

I asked Artificial intelligence to list all the Section Houses and Stations in Crawford Notch, Here's what it found:

This document is a research work in progress.  Artificial Intelligence has made several  errors in the facts.  

AI Says:  I'll pull your browsing history and research, then compile everything into a comprehensive master list. Let me start gathering all the sources at once.

 

Here is the complete master list, compiled from your browsing history, the Bartlett Historical Society records, JSTOR's Mountain Division article, NH State Parks documentation, Branch Line Society station lists, Wikipedia, and multiple primary source stereoview/postcard evidence from your eBay research sessions.

Crawford Notch Railroad Station Master List

Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad → Maine Central Railroad (Mountain Division) → Boston & Maine / Guilford → Conway Scenic Railroad

Mileposts measured from Portland Union Station, Maine

Context & Railroad Succession

Railroad Era Notes:

Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad (P&O)1867–1884 (charter); opened through Notch Aug 7–16, 1875 Built the line; 7 of the 8 Notch section houses are P&O construction.

 

Portland & Ogdensburg Railway (P&O Ry)1884–1888 Reorganized after bankruptcy.

 

Maine Central Railroad (MEC) — Mountain Division1888–1983 Leased P&O; Mountain Subdivision designation after 1925.

 

Boston & Maine / Guilford Transportation1983–1995 Final operators before abandonment.

 

Conway Scenic Railroad (CSR) 1995–present Heritage excursion service, Notch Train to Crawford Depot.

Master Station & Structure List — Ordered by Milepost (South → North)

1. Bemis / Notchland

Field Detail

Milepost~73.0 (south end of Crawford Notch proper)

Also Known As Bemis Place; later renamed Notchland

TypePassenger flag stop / agency station

Railroad P&O → MEC

 

Years Active:  1875–c.1920s (as Bemis); continued as Notchland thereafter

Notes:  Marks the south gateway and the base of the famous 9-consecutive-mile grade averaging 116 ft/mile up to Crawford Depot. Referenced as "Bemis" in NH State Parks documents and the JSTOR Mountain Division article, which explicitly states it was "renamed Notchland." Named for Dr. Samuel Bemis, early White Mountains landowner and photographer. The 1918 runaway freight that lost its brakes derailed on the long curve above Bemis on its way down.

 

Agents:  Foremen Not confirmed in surviving records

Fate: Vanished; no structure survives

2. Sawyer River Station & Junction

Field Detail

Milepost74.8

Type:  Agency station; junction with Sawyer River Railroad (logging)

RailroadP&O (section house built by P&O) → MEC

Years Active1875–1954 (section house); MEC agency closed 1921; junction active 1877–c.1937

Section 128 / Bartlett district

Notes: Junction point for the 8-mile Sawyer River Railroad (1877–c.1937), which served the company logging town of Livermore, NH. The SRR had its own brick engine house, general office, and yard at Livermore. Two surviving structures — the section men's car house and foreman's dwelling — remain as private properties today. Long sidings visible in early-20th-century photographs. The town of Livermore (150–200 residents at peak) was entirely served through this junction.

Section Foremen: 1888–1891: George Rich; 1894–1902: John Stevens; 1902–1903: Leslie Smith; 1903–1905: George Murch; 1905–1911: Merville Murch; 1912–1927: John McCann; 1927–1954: Robert Gardner

Fate:  Station gone; section house site survives as private property; Sawyer River RR grade survives as gravel road and hiking trail; siding periodically used by CSR for maintenance staging.

3. Carrigain Dwelling / Station

Field Detail

Milepost78.8

Also Known As"Willey House Post Office" (later designation); Carrigain Dwelling

Type Section dwelling; flag stop; Post Office

Railroad P&O

Years Active1875–1990 (razed)

Notes: Located approximately one mile west of Sawyer River Station, near the junction where the Saco Valley Railroad (SVRR, incorporated April 1891) branched toward the logging town of Carrigain. The SVRR operated roughly 7 miles into the Cutts Grant; logging completed by Feb. 1, 1898, and the SVRR was discontinued. The MEC dwelling at MP 78.8 later served as a post office and was informally associated with the Willey House name. Bartlett History notes later occupants rebuilt by their son Bill King.

Residents / Foremen: 1875–1894: unknown; 1894–1896: Fred Pingree; 1896–1940: Patrick McGee; 1941–1973: Peter King; 1973–1990: Private dwelling

Fate: Razed 1990 and new structure built by King's son.

4. Avalanche Flag Stop (original Willey House stop)

Field Detail

Milepost80.8

Also Known As Avalanche; original Willey House station

Type Flag stop / section dwelling

Railroad P&O

Years Active1875–1887

Notes: The first station serving the Willey House area, opened with the line in 1875. Short-lived; replaced around 1878 by the more accessible Willey House stop slightly to the north (MP 80.82/80.9). The Kilburn Brothers stereoviews from the early 1870s–1880s document this structure beside what was then called Cow Brook (now Avalanche Brook). Structure included a section foreman's house, ice house, and section house. Foundation survives in the vegetation.

Foremen:  1875–1887: Anthony Swift

Fate: Closed 1887; replaced by Willey House flag stop; foundation survives.

5. Willey House Flag Stop & Section Dwelling

Field Detail

Milepost80.82 (original); 80.90 (rebuilt, c.1878)

Type: Flag stop; section dwelling; Post Office; telegraph office; freight agency

Railroad P&O → MEC

Section: Section 128

 

Years Active: c.1878–1976 (railroad use); building survived to 1988

 

Notes: Two-story dwelling replacing the Avalanche flag stop. MEC timetables listed it as a telegraph point where carload freight could be handled and passenger tickets sold. Florence Monahan served as postmistress and telegraph operator from 1903; mail was caught and thrown via a catcher arm on passing trains. The Monahan family raised six daughters here. In 1927 an extra freight near Willey House had its boiler explode, killing the crew. Kilburn Brothers stereoviews document the structure prominently from the 1870s onward — your eBay browsing sessions captured multiple examples including views of the Mt. Willey slide area, the Willey Brook bridge approach, and the station in winter (Dane H.G. Malcolm / Dwight Smith Collection photographs).

 

Section Foremen & Agents:  1870–1883: Alfred Allen (foreman, resided at Crawford House); 1887–1903: William Burnell; 1903–1941: Joseph & Florence Monahan; 1943–1953: Joseph Burke; 1953–1965: Cornelius Griffin; 1965–1976: Wellman Rowell.

Fate:  Closed 1976; burned by the railroad 1988

6. Aldridge (Aldrich) House

Field Detail

Milepost82.5

Type Section dwelling

Railroad P&O

Years Active 1875–c.1894

 

Notes One of seven section dwellings constructed by the P&O when the line opened. Located between the Willey House and the Guay Place, in the steepest section of the grade.

 

Foremen:  1875–c.1894: Joseph Aldridge

 

Fate:  Closed c.1894; demolished; no traces known

7. Guay Place

Field Detail

Milepost83.0

Type: Section dwelling

Railroad: P&O

Years Active:  1875–1888

 

Notes:   One of the original P&O section houses, located just below the Mt. Willard section. Foreman's name is not recorded in surviving sources. The Monahan family is associated with this location in Bartlett History records after the initial occupant departed.

 

Foremen1875–1888: Unknown

 

FateClosed 1888; demolished

8. Mt. Willard Section House ⭐ (most documented)

Field Detail

Milepost 83.54

TypeSection house (MEC-built, the only one of the 8 not built by P&O)

RailroadMEC (built 1888, replacing earlier Mitchell dwelling)

SectionSection 129

Years Active1888–1965 (railroad occupancy); standing until 1972

 

NotesThe most famous structure in Crawford Notch railroad history. "Fortress-like" building visible from Route 302, beside Willey Brook Bridge. Crews responsible for Section 129 — MP 82.5 to just east of Crawford Station, the most demanding section on the Mountain Division. Willey Brook Bridge (100 ft high, 400 ft long; both spans replaced in 7 minutes in 1905 without interrupting train service) is immediately adjacent. Loring Evans was killed in a yard accident at Crawford's in 1913; his wife Hattie remained and boarded section men until 1942 — nearly 40 years. Raymond W. Evans (their son) later built a detailed scale model of the house. Subject of Virginia C. Downs's book Life by the Tracks. Extensively documented in Kilburn Brothers stereoviews and your Beechwood/Beachwood eBay browsing sessions (the "Beechwood Engineers Home" stereoviews are related Crawford Notch railroad dwelling views). Foundation, memorial, and small garden survive at site.

 

Section Foremen1888–1898: James E. Mitchell; 1898–1903: Joseph Monahan; 1903–1941: Loring Evans (killed 1913) / Hattie Evans; 1944–1950: O. Douglas Macomber; 1951–1952: Quervis Strout; 1954–1962: Thomas Sweeney; 1963–1965: Wellman Rowell

 

FateClosed 1965; burned by railroad December 13, 1972 after chronic vandalism; foundation and monument survive

9. Mitchell Dwelling (The Foreman's Cottage)

Field Detail

Milepost84.0

Type Section dwelling (P&O)

Railroad P&O

Years Active 1875–1888

 

Notes:  The original dwelling for James E. Mitchell and family before the MEC-built Mt. Willard Section House replaced it at MP 83.54 in 1888. Mitchell and family then moved into the new structure. This location is essentially the approach to the Great Cut / Gates of Crawford Notch.

 

Foremen:  1875–1888: James E. Mitchell

 

Fate: Removed when replaced by Mt. Willard Section House in 1888

10. Beechwood / "Engineer's Home" (Crawford Notch)

Field Detail

Milepost~84.3–84.8 (approximate; within the Great Gorge / Great Cut zone)

Type Railroad dwelling / engineer's resting place

Railroad P&O → MEC

Years Active 1870s–early 20th century

 

Notes: Documented in Kilburn Brothers stereo views as "Beachwood — Engineer's Home, Crawford Notch, NH" (also spelled Beechwood). Appears in your eBay browsing session from August 2, 2026, including at least two separate listings for the stereo view. This was a railroad-provided dwelling or layover point for locomotive crews. The variant spellings (Beachwood/Beechwood) appear on different Kilburn prints. Located within or immediately below the Great Cut / Great Gorge, the most spectacular section approaching Crawford Depot. Exact milepost requires field confirmation against surviving stereo view landmarks.

Agents / Foremen: Not confirmed in surviving written records

 

Fate:  Vanished; no structure known to survive

11. Davis Brook Section House

Field Detail

Milepost~84.5–85.0 (approximate; between Mitchell Dwelling and Crawford Depot)

Type:   Section dwelling

RailroadP&O

Years Active1875–unknown

 

Notes:  Your browsing history shows three consecutive searches on August 3, 2026 for "Davis Brook section house P&O railroad map," indicating active research into this structure's location on P&O maps. Davis Brook enters the Saco just south of Crawford Depot; a section house at this point would have served the final approach to the summit. Milepost requires confirmation against P&O plat maps.

Foremen:  Not confirmed in surviving records

 

Fate:  Unknown; no structure known to survive

12. Frankenstein Flag Stop

Field Detail

Milepost~75.5–76.0 (at or near the Frankenstein Trestle, Hart's Location)

TypeFlag stop

Railroad  P&O → MEC

Years Active  1875–c.1950s

 

Notes:  Named for Godfrey N. Frankenstein (1820–1873), the German-born American artist who painted Crawford Notch. The adjacent trestle — originally wrought iron (1875), rebuilt in steel 1893, strengthened 1930 and 1950 — is 520 ft long and 85 ft above the ravine floor. The Branch Line Society's NH station list confirms Frankenstein as a separate stop from Willey House and Crawford Notch. The trestle is now traversed by Conway Scenic's Notch Train. Historical marker (NH #0213) erected 2009.

 

Agents / Foremen:  None confirmed; flag stop only

 

Fate: Stop discontinued; trestle in active use by CSR

13. Crawford Notch / Willey House Camps Passenger Stop

Field Detail

Milepost~80.5–81.0 (near Willey House clearing)

Type:  Seasonal passengers stop / platform

Railroad MEC → B&M

Years Active: 1922–c.1950s

 

Notes: After 1922, the Willey House clearing was leased to Donahue & Hamlin of Bartlett, who built a cabin colony of peeled spruce logs for vacationers (the "Birches" and "Willey House Camps" documented in your eBay RPPC browsing — multiple real photo postcards of the Birches and Willey House Camps appear in your July 31, 2026 browsing session). Trains made scheduled stops at or near the existing Willey House flag stop to serve the camp colony. The camps eventually reverted to state operation. RPPC cards from 1925 showing "Crawford Notch NH Willey House Camps" and "The Birches Crawford Notch" document the camp era.

 

Agents / Foremen:  Same as Willey House dwelling (Florence Monahan, postmistress)

 

Fate:  Stop discontinued with passenger service decline; state park site survives

14. Crawford Depot (Crawford's Station) ⭐ (only survivor)

Field Detail

Milepost~85.2 (highest point on the Mountain Division)

Also Known As Crawford's; Crawford Station; Crawford Notch Station; Maine Central Passenger Railway Station

Type  Full passenger depot; Post Office; freight station; telegraph office

Railroad  P&O (original 1875 structure) → MEC (rebuilt 1891)

Years Active:  1875–1983 (railroad service); 1962 converted to gift shop; AMC visitors center from c.1995

Elevation1,900 ft ASL — highest depot on the Mountain Division

 

ArchitectureQueen Anne style, 26×30 ft; octagonal corner turret; canted fireplace bay; stained glass; hip roof with sawn brackets; pent roof on three sides. MEC gave this station special attention because of its symbolic summit location.

 

Notes:  Built by MEC in 1891, replacing the P&O original. Served the Crawford House hotel (rebuilt 1853, burned 1977 — AMC Highland Center now occupies that site). Station foreman's house (built 1887, burned 1972) was immediately adjacent. Pusher service operated from Bartlett (MP 73) to Crawford's, typically using Mallet compound #1203, later Mikados. The summit ceremony of the P&O was held here August 7, 1875. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places April 29, 1982 (NRHP #82001672). Now the northern terminus of Conway Scenic Railroad's Notch Train. The 1887 foreman's house shared Queen Anne vocabulary with the depot and burned in the same 1972 period as the Mt. Willard section house. Your eBay browsing (August 2, 2026) includes a Kilburn stereoview of the Mt. Willey/Willey House area and the 1880s Crawford House business trade card.

 

Known Agents / Station Foremen:  Station agent records not fully digitized; the 1887 foreman's house indicates a named permanent agent through at least the 1887–1972 period

 

Fate:  Standing — only Crawford Notch railroad structure still intact. Restored; AMC visitor center and Conway Scenic Railroad station

Summary Table — All Structures at a Glance

Click the table to enlarge

 

Notes on Sources & Reliability

  • Mileposts confirmed (Bartlett Historical Society primary records): 74.8, 78.8, 80.8, 80.82/80.9, 82.5, 83.0, 83.54, 84.0 Bartlett History Bartlett History Bartlett History

  • Bemis = Notchland confirmed: JSTOR Mountain Division of the Maine Central Railroad; NH State Parks "Bemis Station at the south end of the notch" JSTOR NH State Parks

  • Frankenstein confirmed as separate flag stop: Branch Line Society NH stations list The Branch Line Society

  • Crawford Depot architecture and history: Wikipedia; NRHP nomination; Crawford Depot/Gorham NH Wikipedia historic-structures.com

  • Mt. Willard Section House Evans family history: ScenicNH Photography; Rhubarb Loop; Bartlett History ScenicNH Photography LLC rhubarbloop.co.uk

  • Sawyer River junction and logging RR: Abandoned Rails; Rhubarb Loop; Sawyer River RR histories rhubarbloop.co.uk Abandoned Rails

  • Beechwood / Davis Brook: Documented from your direct eBay browsing (Aug. 2–3, 2026) and Kilburn stereoview collections; mileposts are approximate pending P&O plat map confirmation

  • Willey House Camps / Birches: Documented from your July 31, 2026 eBay browsing (RPPC postcards of the Birches and Willey House Camps, 1925) ebay.com ebay.com ebay.com ebay.com

Open Research Items to Fill in

  1. Davis Brook Section House — Milepost needs confirmation against surviving P&O engineering maps (your Aug. 3 searches were seeking this; the NH Historical Society holds P&O stereoviews that may include section house location context) New Hampshire Historical Society

  2. Beechwood exact milepost — Cross-reference Kilburn stereoview caption geography against known landmarks (Great Gorge / Great Cut position puts it MP 84–85 range)

  3. Crawford Depot agents — Full agent roster 1875–1983; NH State Archives railroad personnel records

  4. Bemis/Notchland milepost — Confirm against P&O original survey documents; the JSTOR article places it at "nine miles below Crawford's," suggesting MP ~76

  5. Carrigain Dwelling / SVRR junction — Exact MP of Saco Valley Railroad branch point vs. Carrigain Dwelling; may be two distinct locations within a short distance

summary chart.jpg

MPNameTypeRailroadYears ActiveKey PersonnelFate

73.0  Bemis / NotchlandFlag stop / agencyP&O → MEC1875–c.1920s—Vanished

73.7  Sawyer River StationAgency + logging junctionP&O → MEC1875–1954Rich; Stevens; Smith; G.Murch; M.Murch;

McCann; GardnerSite survives (private); SRR grade  

 

75.5  Frankenstein Flag StopFlag stopP&O → MEC1875–c.1950s—Stop gone; trestle active (CSR)

 

77.9  Davis Brook Bridge

78.8  Carrigain DwellingSection dwelling / P.O.P&O1875–1990Pingree; P.McGee; P.KingRazed 1990

 

80.5–81.0  Willey House Camps stopSeasonal passenger stopMEC → B&M1922–c.1950sF. Monahan (agent)Discontinued; state park

 

80.8  Avalanche Flag StopFlag stop / dwellingP&O1875–1887Anthony SwiftFoundation survives

 

80.82–80.90Willey House Flag StopFlag stop / dwelling / P.O. / telegraphP&O → MECc.1878–1976Allen; Burnell; J.&F. Monahan; Burke; Griffin; RowellBurned by RR 1988

 

82.5Aldridge HouseSection dwellingP&O1875–c.1894Joseph Aldridge Gone

 

83.0Guay PlaceSection dwellingP&O1875–1888UnknownGone

 

83.54Mt. Willard Section HouseSection houseMEC (built 1888)1888–1965Mitchell; J.Monahan; L.Evans/Hattie Evans; Macomber; Strout; Sweeney; RowellBurned by RR Dec. 13, 1972; foundation + monument survive

 

84.0Mitchell DwellingSection dwellingP&O1875–1888James E. MitchellRemoved 1888

 

84.3–84.8  Beechwood / Engineer's HomeRailroad dwellingP&O → MEC1870s–early 1900sUnknownVanished

 

84.5–85.0Davis Brook Section HouseSection dwellingP&O1875–?UnknownUnknown; likely gone

 

85.2  Crawford DepotFull depot / P.O. / freightP&O (1875) → MEC (rebuilt 1891)1875–presentMultiple agents (records incomplete)Standing — NRHP listed; AMC + CSR

IF YOU ARE ON A MOBIL DEVICE WE SUGGEST YOU USE THE SAFARI BROWSER BUT RESULTS WILL VARY. 

 

 .  THIS SITE IS BEST VIEWED ON desktop and tablet.

 

 

bottom of page